How to help.
You can help our community by assisting F.I.S.H. with a monetary or food donation, volunteering your time and labor and by spreading the word about F.I.S.H.
"Years ago, I took my young daughter with me as I delivered food for F.I.S.H. She grumbled a lot then but now she is a professional social worker. She says those days talking about people in need and seeing them at their homes actually changed her life--as it helped them." --- a F.I.S.H. volunteer driver
A day in the life of the Anchorage FISH food pantry
We seek and appreciate financial support from individuals, companies and foundations. Here's how:
- Make a donation to F.I.S.H. through the PayPal Giving Fund.
- Make a donation online by clicking the Donate button shown in the left panel.
- Make your check payable to F.I.S.H. and send to:
PO Box 230103
Anchorage, AK 99523
- Designate F.I.S.H. in your employer matching donation fund.
- Add F.I.S.H. as your United Way designation agency.
- Check F.I.S.H. in the Pick. Click. Give. program of the Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) application.
- Consider a tribute gift in honor of or in memory of a person.
- Link your Fred Meyer Rewards card to FISH and we get our own rewards. You still get all of yours, too!
- Sign up at smile.amazon.com and designate Fellowship In Serving Humanity, Inc. (Anchorage) as your charity of choice and FISH receives a percentage of your purchases. Must shop at smile.amazon.com.
- Shop at or donate to Fashion Pact and a portion of each sale amount will go to FISH if you designate us as your charity of choice.
- Consider F.I.S.H. in your estate planning so that your generosity and commitment to our community will continue in the future.
- Donate all or part of your Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA if you are over 70½. Learn More...
- Participate in a fundraising event.
F.I.S.H. relies on local food drives for donations and our food purchases to round out supplies for healthy meals.
You can help by:
- Organizing a special food drive at your school, church or other organization.
- Having a food drive for one specific pantry food staple throughout the year.
- Having a "theme" food drive (i.e. Spam, canned fruit, Hamburger Helper).
- Having food donations as part of the entrance fee to an event.
F.I.S.H. is a charitable organization run completely by volunteers referred to us by our partner organizations. Our volunteers work two to four hours per month. For every day of food deliveries, F.I.S.H. relies on 4+ volunteers. We are always looking to fill the following volunteer positions:
- Shoppers – Purchase additional food not received through donations; sort and stock pantry shelves.
- Phone callers – gather information about family size, children’s ages and special dietary needs.
- Packers – pack grocery bags to meet needs of each family.
- Drivers – deliver food to those in need.
- Re-packagers – repackage bulk items into family sizes.
- Committees/Event Coordinators – participate on a committee or special event.
Email to find out how you can make a difference by becoming a F.I.S.H. volunteer.